I love the concept of donor 'Welcome Packs' and think they should be an essential part of any fundraising/stewardship strategy, but often they are badly implemented or just dull.
As I'm currently trying to put together a pack of my own, here are some of essentials I think they should include...
- Make it about the donor. Use 'you' frequently and headlines like '5 problems your donation will help solve'.
- Tell stories and anecdotes (backed up with strong images) that make the donor feel good about giving and reinforce the fact that they have made a good choice by donating to you.
- Use interesting and relevant stats or graphs to back up your case. Though don't go overboard on these.
- Express your gratitude and thanks. Make the donor feel good about giving. Use welcoming language.
- Give your contact details and make it easy for donors to get in touch.
Finally, if you are feeling really brave - take the Botton Village approach and give the donor choice.
Am I missing anything? Who produces your favourite welcome packs?