I'm delighted to be hosting the Nonprofit blog carnival in July and look forward to reading some great submissions.
My topic is welcoming donors and securing a second gift.
There's always lots of talk about how to acquire new donors, but often the same amount of time isn't spent on discussing how to keep them.
We know that charitites have a serious retention problem.
The 2013 AFP Effectiveness Report found the following grim facts about fundraising:
Every 100 donors gained in 2012 was offset by 105 in lost donors through attrition — a net loss of five donors.
For every $100 gained in new donations, $96 was lost in donor attrition and smaller gifts from current supporters.
Overall, donor attrition in 2011 was 57 per cent — that is, 57 per cent of 2010 donors did not give again to participating nonprofits in 2011.
I'd love to hear:
- Are you bucking the trend?
- How do you increase your second gift percentage to more than the 40% norm?
- How do you lower your regular giving attrition to under 50% in the first year?
- What do you do to welcome donors to your cause and surprise and delight them?
I'm hoping you'll share your tips, secrets and practical examples that set your organisation or client apart. Why not share:
- Is there a nonprofit that do this really well?
- Do you have a donor journey that works really well for you?
- Have you had a bad experience of how not to do it?
- What are the things that really matter and make a difference to donors?
Share your blog posts and help others to improve their donor retention!
How to participate:
Submit your blog posts by emailing your permalink to email@example.com – by end of day Monday, July 28, 2014.
In your email, be sure to include:
- Your name
- The URL of your post
- A two or three sentence summary of your post
Then on July 29th, I'll publish a round-up of selected posts right here on Fundraising Detective.
We can’t wait to receive your submissions! In the meantime, i'd encourage you to check out the June Carnival Round-up about nonprofit innovation and inspiration – visit the Wild Apricot blog.
Nonprofit Blog Carnival Updates
If you’d like to receive email reminders about the Nonprofit Blog Carnival, you can sign up to join the “Friends of the Carnival” here.